This is a list of some possible deductions for those that
rent out property. I do not take credit for this list as I found it on the
internet. The reason that I am posting it is because I receive questions about
deductions and I do not always know the answer.
1.
Management fees (e.g. property
management)
2.
Homeowner’s association (HOA) or
condo fees
3.
Utilities - Insurance
4.
Property taxes
5.
Pest control - Landscaping
6.
Mortgage interest - Other interest - Bank
fees
7.
Supplies
8.
Education/professional development
9.
Licenses/permits - Leasing fees
10.
Legal & professional fees
11.
Office/telephone - Postage/shipping
12.
Travel - Meals & entertainment
13.
Automobile/car expenses
14.
Repairs* - Appliances/fixtures/equipment*
15.
Minor improvements* - Major
improvements/new assets*
16.
Depreciation
*There are strict requirements regarding the definition of each of
these. Things in these categories are grouped based on how much they cost and
other requirements that make them fit into one category or the other, and each
is treated differently in terms of writing them off. A licensed tax expert
needs to guide you on how to file each of these appropriately.

No comments:
Post a Comment