Thursday, March 2, 2017

It can be very confusing to purchase carpet and have it installed. 

My area measures 59.8 square yards so I rounded it up to 60 square Yards.
Then I added the waste factor of 20% and I need 72 square Yards.
The company, the one without a store front and visits your home with the intent to sell you carpet at the highest price possible.  They advertise everything included like Carpet, padding, moving furniture, and adding molding if needed.  They have different prices; therefore, if you do not ask and if you are not persistent it will cost you.
To cover this area with better plush carpet will cost $5,832.00
To cover this area with better Berber carpet will cost $3,420.00
Next I went to a big box home improvement store where they offer free installation and everything is included; no surprises!
Selecting$40.00 per yard carpet and adding basic padding the final price amounts to: $2,923.00.
Finally; I found an ad on the internet. Their coupon offers “whole house special” $299.00 up to 600 square feet. I called and was told that is for carpet only! With installation, it would be close to $1,000.00. This sounds good but the store is one hour from my home and I will not get there any time soon. They did offer to send a measure person for $25.00 and they said that the measure person carries samples.

Real Cost breakdown

Selecting the carpet - carpeting can cost as little as $2 per square foot, or as high as $100 per square yard, but the average carpet and pad will cost between $30 and $40 per square yard - for a total of 72 yards at $40.00 equals $2,923.00 for the carpeting and padding alone.

Installing the Carpet: with a base rate of $5 per yard, the total installment fee is $340.00; and then there is moving the furniture; removing the old flooring and hauling it away, molding if required and replacing the furniture. All this must be worth $500.00 for the installer, one helper with their tools and truck.
I do know that if you go for the least expensive carpet; you will need to do it again in a few years.
The cost of labor is the same if you use low priced or medium priced carpet so it makes sense to go shop for good carpet that will last 15 years. Soil and wear resistant is important.
I have not decided where I will buy my new carpet as I like to shop and research before making financial decisions. I hope that I can find good quality and have the job completed for $2,000.00. this will be $28.00 sq. yd. installed! Job done!


No comments:

Post a Comment